Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cardiology Update & 4th Birthday


Jacob had his yearly cardiology appointment recently. We were lucky to be able to schedule with the outpatient clinic in Riverton which is an extension of Primary Children's Hospital but way less busy. I had tried to prepare Jacob for the appointment so he would understand what was going to happen by telling him he would get stickers on him (EKG) and then some fun goop (gel) on his chest for the Echocardiogram. When we got there he started saying “I don't want stickers. I don't want goop.” He didn't want to take off his shirt for the EKG stickers. So the nurses bribed him. He got to pick a stuffed animal. He picked a cute monkey. He let me take off his shirt and held still for the EKG.



Then we went into the other room for the Echo. Again Jacob had more whining about the goop, but we put on Toy Story to watch and gave him a sucker. He laid down and cooperated really well. In fact the Echo Tech said “I wish all my patients today would act as good as you!”


We met with the the Cardiology Fellow. She was super sweet and asked a ton of questions about how Jacob was doing, how active he was, his development, any concerns, etc. I was glad to be able to tell her that Jacob is growing and developing right on target. He is potty trained and talking up a storm. He does gets extra tired some times (still takes naps), wants to be carried if we are walking a lot and will go a little blue if he is super cold. But there are no real things that we are worried about in his day to day activities.

Dr. Etheridge came in and talked to us. She is really happy with how Jacob is looking. They are still watching the Pulmonary Branch Stenosis and the Aortic Root Dilation, but neither has gotten any worse so that is wonderful news. We will go back in another year and do it all again. Yea for a good report!


Jacob is now a big 4 year old! His is excited to be a big boy. I am so glad he is potty trained. We are still working with him to stop sucking his thumb. He picked Tony the tiger cereal for his birthday breakfast cereal. He wanted to have a Red Birthday Party with our family. So we had everything red: plates, cups, silverware, napkins, streamers, jello, strawberries, kool-aid, cake, ice cream & chicken (regular color) but with ketchup. It was a great day.


During dinner my sweet husband was reflecting on where we were 4 years ago when Jacob was born. Our 10 year old daughter commented “I am so glad we have the church.” When I asked her what she meant she talked about my husband having the Priesthood and gratitude that Jacob has been blessed to still be with our family. I want to echo her gratitude for having the gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives. I do not know how we would have coped without the comfort of the Holy Ghost, the understanding of the Plan of Salvation, prayers offered in our behalf, and the Christ-like service that was rendered (and still is) to our family.

9 comments:

Hope's Blog said...

Happy Birthday Jacob!

Kristin said...

Great report! Happy birthday Jacob :)

Melissa said...

Glad he'a doing well! Such a handsome boy!

Michelle said...

Wow! Jacob is so big now! Can't believe how much he has grown. I am glad he is doing so well and you got a good report. We have never had yearly visits not sure if we ever will. The most have been 6 months between. Your blog was one of the first I found during our CHD journey and I thank you for contuing to share your story. Wishing Jacob a wonderful year!

judd and ash said...

SO HAPPY TO HEAR ALLIS GOING WELL FOR HIM, YAY FOR GOOD NEWS!!!

The Blairs said...

Happy Birthday Jacob! He is adorable. I'm glad his check-up went well. It is always great to get good news. I haven't heard about being able to do the check-ups in Riverton. I'll have to look into that, it would be much easier.

GoofyJ said...

he is adorable! And so glad the check-up went well. Loved what your 10-year-old had to say too - that is awesome.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

He's darling. And growing up so fast! I love it when those cardiology check-ups go well. I'm always so anxious right before them, even though I know the outcome will probably still be good!

E is 12 and we were pleased with his last one, as was his cardiologist.

So glad Jacob is doing well!!

Smilen Champ said...

HI Jacob!
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a brave courageous fighter and a true hero. U will be in my thoughts. I am so happy you are doing well.
www.miraclechamp.webs.com